Saturday, January 3, 2015

christmas catch up part 1

We have had the most spectacularly fabulous holiday season.  We did everything on my want and to do list. I squeezed every festive moment I could out of the season.  Consequently, I now have a dastardly cold, as I do every New Year, from all the revelry, sugar, and lack of sleep.  Although, I have had a severe lack of sleep for almost six months now, thanks to a certain handsome individual (that would be Oscar. I just realized that the previous sentence could be interpreted otherwise)
So I figure I will start backwards on our Holiday happenings. 
Don had a birthday, New Years Day, like he does every year. He said he wanted "wings, salad, pizza, and to watch and play games."  So that is what we did.  We invited the Martz family over and steff made Don's favorite cake, tres leches.  Football was on all day. The only thing we didn't do, was play any games.  But the kids did get out our leftover 4th of July sparklers, which was almost as exciting. 

 Chloe put up some signs around the house.  I love them. Think they will stay up awhile.
New Years Eve we did absolutely nothing.  I think we cleaned a closet or something.  And bought Chic Fila.  Oh yes, and we played Blokus.  I had to redeem myself from the other night when I lost the game to my children and Don.  This time I actually won. So then we had to play again, because Don can't go to sleep if he loses.  Good thing he won that round. But the joke was on him, because after, I made him watch "100 foot Journey" which is just like "Ratatoullie" but with people, instead of rats.  ( I kind of liked it, although it is kind of odd to me that some people think a good hollandaise or bechamel sauce sauce is life changing.  Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE FOOD.  I just don't eat a spoonful of bechamel sauce very slowly and with my eyes closed, and then pause for 5 minutes afterwards contemplating the mysteries of the universe.)
 This is a sideways shot of one of the projects Don had Chloe and Macie do in order to earn their new Frozen calendar.  Chloe had to help Macie write some letters and read to her.  For both of them  it was hard work.
 And here is Chloe modeling Macie's Elsa dress, which really, really ticked off Macie.
All is right in the world again...
Chloe was in the other room playing the piano while Macie danced. Macie would yell to Chloe in the other room, "Set it up Chloe!"
Other happenings this past week...we saw "Unbreakable." Very good, except we took Oscar, and he was not doing what he was supposed to do. ie, falling asleep.  Instead he would eat, and then he peed on me, and then squirm, and then eat some more, and then squirm..so he was doing what babies usually do.
And I saw "Into the Woods" with a group of girls, and was glad I saw it, and glad I didn't bring the girls.  And, I still like happy endings, even if they are not realistic.
Yesterday some friends (the Franklins) from North Carolina came over for breakfast.  We had a great time visiting with them.
Also yesterday we were able to return to the library for the first time in...I can't even remember. We lost a book a year ago and Chloe finally found it in a deserted box underneath her bed.  Chloe was filled with such joy  with the prospect of returning to the library, so we did so right away.  I figured my $8 library fine was fair considering it was at something like $100 before I returned the book. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but it was large enough for me to feel guilty just setting foot inside the library.  So I am glad that is finally taken off my conscience.  Although the girls checked out 21 books. 21.  So...one can see how I got myself into that mess in the first place. Oye.

No comments: