Monday, February 15, 2010

Friday I was watching tv, and I saw an announcement that said "Olympic Opening Ceremonies Tonight." And I was like- "huh?" I had no idea the Olympics were starting so soon. Back in the day I was all about the Olympics. Back in the day, I would have known when the Olympics were starting. Back in the day I knew all the Figure Skater names. And I wanted to be them. I thought if only I lived somewhere cold, where ice rinks were readily available, I could have been standing there with a gold medal around my neck. I have since realized the error of my thinking. 1. I am not so coordinated 2. Your parents have to fork over a lot of money for figure skating lessons and all the costumes and stuff and 3. There is no way I am dedicated to one thing enough to make that my main goal in life. (eh...besides being a nice person...uh...) and 4. I excel in things like eating, not fitting into little froo froo figure skating outfits.

Anyway, I don't know what happened, I guess life...but I am not up on my figure skaters anymore. But I tell you what, it doesn't take me very long to get back into it. I am still amazed by what they can do on ice skates, especially since my epiphany a few years ago, that I am not that coordinated. I still think the men figure skaters look a little ridiculous though. Some of the costumes are a bit over the top.

Back in the 1908 Olympics they wore stuff like this. So I am guessing they didn't do tricks like this: I think maybe her skirt would have gotten into his eyes. That is making my chuckle envisioning it. I think this move would have been frowned upon in 1908.


This guy is sort of strange. See what I am talking about with men figure skaters? He is supposed to be a swan. Did you know Don was in skating lessons when he was a kid? He has faint memories of it. He doesn't remember exactly what happened, but something about his Dad nixing the idea. The thought of a figure skating Don is also making me chuckle.








Did you know there is artistic ROLLER skating?
Perhaps I could get into this.
I am pretty sure the competition is not as steep as in ice skating.
Not sure why. It looks almost as graceful, don't you think?
PS I love that she has a tambourine in her routine and that she is dancing to Madonna's "Holiday." No, it is not 1987, but 2007.
PPS Chloe LOVES this video.
PPPS When we were watching ice skating last night, she got up off the couch and said, "I do it!" and proceeded to mimic their twirly jumps.
Maybe Chloe will make my Olympic dreams come to pass and I can be the hysterical mother in the crowd. My dream has always been to be a stage mother. "Chin Up Baby!!!"

3 comments:

ottspot said...

I was watching the pairs skating and they commented on at least 2 of the skaters saying they got their start in competitive roller skating. I would think the change to ice skating would have been a major status upgrade. They probably won't talk to the roller skaters any more.

M.M.M. said...

lol Erin. lol.

mom said...

I think I can see why this is not an olympic sport.