Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tonight's Thought.

Yes, I had one thought today.

Yes, just one.

That I can recall.

But before I astound you with my intellect, I just want to say:

Things in my house currently not working (or well on their way to not working):
1. My vacuum.
I made the unfortunate mistake of rinsing the filter and replacing it while it was still wet. I thought the reason it says right on the filter "Make sure filter is dry before replacing" was because you could get electrocuted or something. Turns out, the reason why is because the filter starts to mildew and when you turn your vacuum on it smells like rotting fish.
So that's very nice.
2. My kitchen sink. Nothing new.
3. My bed. (oh yes, have I mentioned I got bit on my chin and found the bug immediately and from here on out, I officially OFFICIALLY have moved rooms.)
4. My toilet. But that is nothing new.
5. Oh, and hooray, a new one to add to the list. My washing machine!
I believe it broke because I was doing about a trillion loads of heavy blankets a day, trying to solve my embarrassing bed situation.
Although, I still got bit on the chin.

Anyway. We quite like it. Now when the electricity goes out, it will be the final step to feeling like real camping!

So I will be setting up an account on the side of this blog. All donations will go to:
1. a new bed
2. a new washing machine
and
3. A Dyson vacuum.
and
4. The Michael Buble concert.

**By the way. I realized later that perhaps I should not have called Michael my boyfriend. I am a married woman and all. Just to clarify, I don't really think he is my boyfriend.
Plus, it would have never worked out between us. A guy that good, has to have an ego to match. How do I know this? Because I was in choir. Let me tell you. The nerdiest guy (if he can sing or thinks he can sing like Frank Sinatra) thinks he is the stud of the century. I could name names, but I won't. So Michael Buble is good looking and he sings like...like a cherub...a manly cherub...so I am sure he is a jerk.
Oh dear. This I believe is what you call, putting your foot further in your mouth.
Anyway. I am quite happily married.

Now.
On to my thought for the night.

So I like watching American Idol. Maybe this is very "so 10 years ago" but frankly I don't care.
They always put these inspirational stories on when they are going through the auditions, obviously for entertainment value.
And it works.
I tear up quite frequently.
But here is the thing.
So they have a kid on with a particularly moving story.
And then the judges tell them they are super awesome.
And then they are all happy and say something stupid like, "And now I can really be a role model!"
And it just ruins the inspirational story.

Okay. I personally don't think you should aspire to be a role model because that means you are not very humble, and you want to be a role model, for your glory, not for someone else. I think role models are humble and usually don't have to tell other people how awesome they are.
I suspect, the real translation for "I want to be a role model" is actually "I would really like to be rich and famous."
It just sounds better to say you want to be a role model.

Let me be clear though. I think this mostly applies to show business, not life in general. I applaud people who want to be role models- like really good men who step in to help kids without dad's and show them what it means to be a good man. That is awesome.

Or someone who keeps a positive attitude even though no one would blame them if they succumbed to bemoaning their lot in life.

The common thread is humility though. And most of the time, they do these things without pomp and circumstance.

But come on. Being a contestant on American Idol makes you a role model, how? Or show business in general.

Anyway, it kind of reminded me of the Academy Awards a few years back when "Titanic" won best picture and James Cameron got up there and initiated a moment of silence for those that died...and then a second later yelled into the mic "Let's Party!"

The two just don't go together.

And that is all I have to say tonight.

If you actually read this whole thing, I am sorry, you might have to get a life, because wow. This is really a drab topic.

1 comment:

Michelle M said...

If you're in the market for a washer... I love mine and it's currently on sale with free shipping at the homedepot.com. It's great for washing big blankets and everything else.