Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Thoughts on the Gym

So I've been going to the gym. Let me rephrase that, I have been trying my very best (maybe not my very best, but my goodest) to go to the gym. I purchased a year long contract at an unbelievably low price, so basically I feel the need to get my moneys worth, even though I got it at an unbelievably low price. Let me say that again, unbelievably low price. Phrase of the day: unbelievable low price. Oh my gosh....STOP!!!

sheesh. so moving on.

So I get bored at the gym. I have thought about striking up a conversation with an elliptical neighbor...but you never know how they will respond. Some people like to get in the zone, and some people like to forget that they are in a zone. I would be the latter.

I have thought about putting out a Craigslist ad for "Workout Buddy." I saw something like that on a talk show...or maybe a magazine...and they turned out to be best friends. Best case scenario: best friends. Worst case scenario: you could get murdered.

Anyway.

So I usually make a stop at the magazine rack.
And then I hit the elliptical. I figure, treadmill and light reading, no way. You will be tripping all over yourself. I don't need any help with that. Elliptical, light browsing, workable. Bike and serious reading, do-able. After all, does anyone get a good work out on a stationary bike?(spinning classes excluded). Glad you all agree. I have been reading the Biography on Gordon B. Hinkley while on the bike. And when I do that, I leave the gym feeling smarter. But...barely worked up a sweat.

So then I switch to some fluffy magazine and then I leave the gym feeling dumber.

Example? Yesterday I picked up "US" Magazine. I looked at pictures of Matthew Mc-what's his bucket, on the beach. Who cares? Yet I looked.
And then I read about Jonathon Mayer and Jennifer Anniston. Like I know them.
And today in Marie Claire, I read an entire article on the past 15 years of certain celebrities love life. And I learned one thing-Luke Wilson gets around.
Pathetic isn't it?
Marie Claire also taught me new definitions for "splurge" and "steal."
Splurge: Shirt: $500
Steal: Shirt: $150

Um okay....
I am going to try these new definitions with Don.

Sometimes I read "Self" magazine. But I have officially quit that. I don't need to be exercising and then reading an article on how to make all your food less calories. You mean I have to exercise AND give up cheese and sour cream on my tacos? Do I really have to do calf raises while standing in line at the grocery store?

I'm a proponent of eating healthy and everything, but I can't trick myself by saying my water with a sliced lemon is the same as having a nice cool glass of lemonade.

So that's it.
This is all of little consequence, but I share nonetheless.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

Go to an exercise class...they are amazing and you won't get bored.

ottspot said...

gym = not once in my life