Saturday, December 5, 2009

Boys


(So this is how I would decorate for a boys room. Although I am not so crazy about the sheep. But I like the white and brown. And I suppose there has to always be some sort of theme with a baby's room.)

Hello little blog. I have something I want to talk to you about.
Oh I know, I know. I already talked to you today. But I am kind of bored right now so I thought we could chat.
How about you listen and I talk? You know...what usually happens.

The topic today is: Baby boys.

So I went to a baby shower today for a friend. And she is having a boy.
It seems everyone I know is having a boy.
If you are pregnant right now, I can tell you what you are a having.
A boy.
How do I know that?
Well because everyone I know is having a boy.

Here's my thing with baby boys.
How are you supposed to dress them?
How are you supposed to decorate their rooms?
I know it is really, really silly. But these two things keep me from desiring a boy with all my heart.
I am sorry future son (hopefully, otherwise Don might have to take on another wife to produce a son, you know like Henry the VIII. But I don't think he would behead me like old Henry did) .
I am sure by the time you read this, these words will seem very silly. As soon as I gaze into your (brown?) eyes and stroke your (brown?) hair.
And marvel at your "distinguished" nose.
I am sure all thoughts of nurseries and clothes will go out the window.

But until then, I just have to say. Why must boy clothes be so dippy?
Here is my confusion:
Dress him like a fru fru (I guess he could get away with it, I mean he is a BABY after all)
Or dress him like a teenager? (I mean, he is a BABY after all...is that right? Should my BABY boy be looking like a Ambercrombie model?)
Or dress him like a sports star?
Or future zoologist?
I mean. What if he likes cooking?
Maybe they should make baby boy clothes with cooking paraphernalia.
That hasn't been gender stereotyped yet.
I do know French people like to cook though, right?
I digress.

And then nurseries.
Pick one:
Sports
Boats
Cars
Animals. But only certain animals. No flittery fluttery things like birds or butterflies.
Only boyish type animals like monkeys, giraffes, or elephants.
Or gender neutral: sheep. (who decided sheep were gender neutral?)

But perhaps this is the real reason I am scared to have a boy.
I am not into
sports, boats, cars, or boyish type animals.

But I guess I am into boys.
You know, when I was a teenager, I was VERY HAPPY women had baby boys.
Because they grow up.
And they get really cute.
And I really wanted one.
And I got myself one.

And hopefully, maybe one day, some 20 something girl will thank me for having a son.
Because. Boys are pretty awesome in their own special way.
Even if their clothes are dippy.

4 comments:

Liz Taylor said...

I have a little boy and I have the best time finding the cutest clothes to decorate (that's what my husband says) him. I'd be okay having a bunch of boys, they are so cute!

K. Marie Criddle said...

I laughed like crazy reading this, Melissa. I'm actually having me a girl in February, but if she comes out a boy, I'm so blaming you...and it'd be okay, I guess, because her "nursery" (the hallway in our 500 ft home) is all owls, whales and elephants.
I love reading your blog. Please continue being you.

The Mumfords said...

Uh-oh. Maybe that means the ultrasound was wrong and I really am having a boy. If she comes out a girl though, it will give you hope that girls are still coming. Don't be discouraged. You'd find a way to make a little boy (and his nursery) cute. You have special abilities for those kinds of things.

ottspot said...

Girl clothes are cuter. And my nursery is a nautical theme. What are you trying to say cuz? Just kidding. That is a cute nursery pic you put up. I am in to the tree thing. Because I like trees.