Lesson learned:
Never ever, ever, ever forget to bring your picture ID when picking up one's child from school. You could be arrested.Today I went to pick up Chloe fifteen minutes early from school. I had to go to the office to sign her out.
I figured they might ask me for a picture ID, but in true Melissa fashion, it lied securely at home, in my gym bag.
I told the office lady that I forgot my ID. But I showed her my debit card, which had no picture, but it was the best I could do.
She told me that she remembered me from when I signed her up for school and she said she would let me take her this time, but in the future I needed to bring my ID.
As we are getting in the car the lady comes out and says, "Ma'am. Um wait. Are you sure you don't have anything else you can show me? I just can't let you take her. I just have a bad feeling."
I said, "Uh, no. I really don't have anything else."
And she repeated, "Well you will have to come back inside. I just can't let you take her. I have a bad feeling. When she came to the door, she was acting strange when she saw you. Something just doesn't seem right."
So she took Chloe, and I followed sheepishly 10 feet behind.
We went back into the office, so that I could be privy to all the strange looks of curious onlookers.
And I just stood there not knowing what to do, realizing that no matter what I did or said, I only looked more suspicious, and Chloe looked more awkward.
I said, "Well I don't know how to prove that she is my daughter. Uh Chloe, tell them something about me."
To which Chloe whispered in my ear, "You make me good food."
(No, no, no Chloe. Something more like , "I remember her giving birth to me 5 years ago." )
Well that didn't work. So then I just stood there until the Principal was called up to the office to come assess the situation.
Thankfully the Principal said that she heard Chloe say "Hey that's my Mom's car!" as she was being taken to the Office the first time.
And thus, I was allowed to take my daughter home.
It was very strange being treated like a possible child abductor.
Maybe I should stop wearing this outfit when I go to pick up Chloe from now on.

4 comments:
At least now you know that if someone steals your debit card they can't use it to take your kid out of school early. They'll probably just use it to drain your checking account.
What a rough week for you! They have let me pick up my child from the classroom next door and another child and never asked me for an ID yet! Also, I caught this other said 5 year old child (running off campus during morning drop offs) and I caught him and distracted him until his class walked into the room. I am not his parent and no one has questioned me so far. I also notified his mom, who was very worried that no one is watching the kindergarteners, unless Melissa is after them......
I just have a bad feeling. That is hilarious. Would you stop trying to pick up little curly red-headed children that obviously aren't related to you? And did she suddenly decide that she didn't remember you from when you picked her up before? Utah is very...ummm...relaxed with their children. You can walk in and out of that school without signing a darn thing or talking to anyone. It is amazing no one has just wandered off yet.
Well, at least you know she is safe from real abductors. Also, if I were to turn to a life of crime, my obvious weapon of choice would be a clothes iron.
Post a Comment