Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Adventures In Parenting A School Age Child, Chapter 1



I'm a little perturbed.  Last week Chloe told me a "big" little girl yelled at her in line to "Go!! Go!!!" 
She did the impression for me.  And it wasn't nice.  And it made Chloe feel sad.
But, whatever.  That's life, right?  Gotta learn how to deal with people who need to go to etiquette school.

Then today she told me that she had a bad day because a SEVEN year old in kindergarten named "Big Z" was mean to her.  He yelled at her for using a yellow crayon that apparently belonged to "Owen."  Now I am not sure if "Owen" is the given name for "Big Z" or if Owen is another child.  But regardless, I am having a hard time having tender, loving feelings for Big Z.  Also, I don't really think it is cute to give a child a nickname with one letter and "Big" as an accompanying adjective.  But I mention this only because as previously mentioned, I am not having tender loving feelings towards Big Z, nor towards his parents for that matter.

I told Chloe to tell him to be nice.  After all I think the way to deal with bullies is to stand up to them so they know you do not exist for the sole purpose of having a place to wipe their shoes.  She didn't really like that idea.

So then I told her that if he keeps bugging her, she should tell her teacher.  (By the way, I don't think kids should tell the teacher about every little slight, and for the most part I am of the opinion that kids need to learn how to solve their interpersonal conflicts by themselves)
To which she replied, "No, I can't do that.  That will just make Big Z mad."

And that there is the zinger.  Do I know that kids don't get along? Yes.  Do I know that sometimes they say things to each other that they shouldn't? Yes.  Am I okay with my daughter being AFRAID of another child? No. 

I will admit, my Momma Bear claws are extended, and gripping the door to her kindergarten class, ready to snatch my daughter, and take her back home to our cave.


2 comments:

RHulsey said...

I'm afraid for the first time my kids come home sad because they were bullied :(

ottspot said...

I agree that kids need to learn to fend for themselves and, unfortunately, mean kids are a part of childhood...but I also think sometimes kids need to know that Momma's got their back! Go with your gut. If you think something needs to be said march yourself in and say it! Or go observe recess without Chloe seeing you. That could be very telling.