Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Luau and Pajamas




(and an old one of Miss Macie)


So last night Chloe got it into her head that she wanted to wear her "black polka dot pajamas.  The ones that are black with long leeves  (no, that is not a typo) and white polka dots.  The ones that I wore when I was 3 years old."

I had no idea what she was talking about.  I asked her if she was sure she hadn't just dreamed them up.  She was sure.  And since I was very curious, I took her out to the clothes storage unit (also known as the laundry room) and we went through all the old clothes.  And what she found, is pictured above.  First of all, the shirt is brown with pink spots.  The pants are brown with white spots.  Second of all, these were never worn as pajamas.  Third of all, they were never worn together.  Fourth of all, they are a size 2T.  She is a 5T+.  But, she managed to squeeze into them and she was very excited to have "new" pajamas.  Also, she pulled out another 2T shirt with a hole, and has decided to integrate that into her wardrobe as well. 
I am so glad I bought her a new wardrobe that actually fits last month. I give up.  Have  I mentioned that she also will not let me style her hair?  She likes the part "Straight. In the middle." She puts the part in the middle.  Then flattens it down with water.  And then she puts a bow in the very, very front so she can see it.  And I think I have already written this down, because it seems vaguely familiar.  Mom brain. Strikes again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weekend I took Chelsey to a Luau for a girl that was graduating High School.  My Dad went out of town, so he asked me to take her.  I agreed, even though I knew it would be slightly awkward since I didn't know the girl graduating.  It seems a little tacky to go to a party and eat someone's food when they don't even know who you are.  And we took a picture with her, because her parents told her she had to get a picture with all the arriving guests.  So for years to come she can look at that picture and still wonder who in the world we were. 
On the way home Chelsey was a little disgruntled (not unusual)
Chelsey: "Man.  I wish I could have taken dance lessons.  But it is too late.  I will never be a great dancer.  My disabilities are ruining my life."
Me:  Chelsey, it's never too late. You can take dance lessons.  Would you like me to sign you up for some?
Chloe:  Ya Chelsey.  It's not too late!
Chelsey: No....no, no, no....I don't want to talk about it.
Pause.....
Chelsey: I was just thinking about how much I miss Mom.
Pause....(I was confused where this train of thought came from.  She never talks about our Mom in a sentimental way.  I think it is part of her mental disability.  There is an emotional disconnect there, which has been a blessing really.  So whens she says something like this, I take note.)
Me: Are you thinking about Mom because you wish she were here to watch you dance?
Chelsey: No.....no, no, no.  I was just thinking about how she would have loved to come to this Luau.
Me: Oh.  (silent tear!)
Chelsey: I'm always going to miss Mom a little.  It is going to be a long time until we see Mom again.
Chloe:  Your Mom is my Mom's mom! She's in heaven! She went to heaven, then I came to earth!
Chelsey: Ya. ya, ya.  Your Grandma was a really good singer.
Chloe: She was??!!
Chelsey: Ya.  Only, she just sang in a choir.  She didn't sing Rock and Roll like me.
Chloe: Oh.

The whole interchange was sad and hilarious at the same time. 

1 comment:

ottspot said...

It would certainly be interesting to know how she stores things away in that brain of hers - she may have disabilities, but she has never been dumb! It is sweet that somewhere she has a category of "things Mom would like."