Sunday, September 11, 2011

Today was the 10th anniversary of a horrific day in American history.
I looked at my babies today and felt astonished realizing that this day in history will probably seem to them like Pearl Harbor day seems to me: an important date in history, but lacking any real personal attachment.

I have forgotten what happened that day. Who really wants to remember? Watching the footage, it is just as painful now as it was back then. Maybe even more painful being that I have children. I still find myself hearing these stories that I have heard before...just hoping there is a different outcome...perhaps this time, the passengers will be able to take control of the plane and make it back home to their little children safe and sound. But of course the accounts always end the same. And every time, I am shocked by the devastating outcomes.

It might seem morbid to focus on such a distressing event, but every once in awhile we need to remember because we learned something back then that somehow we keep forgetting: The only things that really matter are Family, Faith, Friends and Freedom. And that good will always triumph over evil.
I believe in the goodness of people and I believe in the goodness of America.
God bless America.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Thanks for sharing the message from Pres Monson!

I too have been thinking a lot on how important it is to remember these terrible moments, even when we want to forget.