Sunday I was making some potato soup irnoically for a friend who had fallen and couldn't walk, and Chloe was outside flipping out because she couldn't get the watering can out from behind the pool fence. It was really annoying. I must have been distracted by my annoyance of the, "Mommy...GET....IT...OUT!!!" that I forgot how to walk.
As I walked out the back door to my patio I rolled my ankle, and next thing I know I am going down like trillion pound elephant, landing squarely on my left knee. It pretty much killed. I was sure I had sprained one of my ankles, possible both. Luckily on further assessment, ankles were okay. Knee was not.
I am not ashamed to say I sobbed for a good 5 minutes, maybe 10, out of pain and frustration with myself for inexplicably falling.
And then I thought for a minute, uh...hope that didn't do anything to the baby. No matter the fall if you are pregnant you always think about that. Especially me. Because I like worrying. Well I don't know if I like it, but I do it. Often. Something I hope to overcome by the time I am 90, but I am still working on it.
Well I dial up my Dad:
"Dad, I fell."
"what shoes were you wearing?"
"I wasn't wearing any shoes.
Do you think the baby is okay?"
"Oh probably. How did you land?"
"Not on my stomach."
"You are probably okay."
"Well what is the worst that could have happened?"
(Here is where worry wart Melissa comes out)
"Oh, you could have torn the placenta and you would miscarry.
(Oh is that all...)
But you are probably okay."
"Okay."
"You just need to be more careful next time."
(Okay, next time I will just walk out the door instead of seeing how many cartwheels I can do before I get outside)
So I was appeased. But then worry wart Melissa reared her ugly head and so I called my on call Nurse who told me "the universal protocol is that we send you to the hospital to get monitored."
Ugh. Should NOT have called.
So I called my Dad again.
"Dad, do you think I need to go to the hospital to get monitored."
"No. What are they going to do for you there? They can't do anything if something is wrong anyway. You are too early."
(Reassuring and unreassuring at the same time)
So I didn't end up going.
As I am sure you all suspected, baby is fine. I got checked at my regular appointment the next day.
But holy cow my knee hurts.
But oh well, these things happen.
Especially when you happen to be a klutz and pregnant at the same time, it is a very dangerous combination.
That is why I have stopped riding my unicycle and doing cartwheels. And running with knives.
Here's to hoping no more accidents.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Poor Melissa! I am super clutzy when I'm pregnant too - inconvenient! I tried to wear heels to church the other day and Matt stopped me before I walked out the door and said "please, I am begging you, please don't wear those shoes. You're going to give me a heart attack." I am paraphrasing; it might have been less polite than that.
Well, I thought your knee bandage today was sexy. Did Don compliment you on it?
I had special, stretchy, easy spirit, grandma looking, pregnancy shoes that my mom bought me for each pregnancy because I fell so often. Daryl thought they helped but I still managed to fall time after time. When I was pregnant with Dirk I was a bridesmaid (or whatever the married girls are called) and I fell in my heels, in the grass at the reception and i'm pretty sure my dress flew way too high so I hid in the bathroom while I cried. Although my fall down the stairs a year ago wasn't while I was pregnant so maybe i need the shoes back.......
Post a Comment