Have I mentioned that I hate potty training?
I am pretty sure I haven't.
I am also pretty sure that I have never mentioned that I like throw pillows and shoes.
That is because I like to accessorize my couch and myself.
I took Chloe to the Pediatrician today for her 3 year visit.
What did I learn?
I have a semi-large child
90% height and 75% weight.
What I like to call a hunka hunka burning love.
Okay well I didn't learn that. I already knew that.
Also. I learned pretty much everything I already knew about potty training.
"Positive reinforcement is the best thing you can do. Reward her for her success."
Okaaaaaay...and when that doesn't work any other ideas?
I got Chloe some circus animal cookies today for being such a super star at the Doctor. We both got poked today-the tuberculosis skin test. My Doc threw it in for free for me. The perks of your Dad knowing another Doctor.
Anyway she ate a few. And then I told her she would have to earn the rest of them by using the potty.
Guess who doesn't care about the circus animals anymore.
Okay, I thought. I am going to have to get really stingy.
So when she asked me for "chocote milk" I said you get it when you use the potty. But I told her she could have regular milk or water.
Guess who suddenly became very satisfied with regular milk and water.
So there you have it folks.
Next strategy: get her a toy and stick it up high in the bathroom where she can see it and tell her she can get it when she doesn't wear diapers anymore.
Not even the Doctor telling her about the poo going to Poopy Land and playing with Mommy and Daddy's poop seemed to make an impression.
Although it disturbed me.
Well I believe my blog has officially achieved Mommy Blog status so I must stop...NOW.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Hey Melissa,
It's time to get tough. HEr's a few things I did that seemed to really get the ball rolling. First, I would eat ice cream in front of the child and say "no, babies aren't allowed to have this. Babies wear diapers. Ice cream is only for big girls." I would do this on things I KNEW they would want. Then I would say "do you want to take off that diaper and use the potty so you can have some?" IF they say no, then continue to make "mmmm" sounds and "this is SO yummy!"
Seriously, just stop with diapers-except at night. Going back and forth will not make Chloe feel like this is serious business! Good luck!
That's a good tip. I'm going to remember that for someday when I have kids.
Sounds like you have a sweet little girl who really knows what she wants and won't settle for anything less!! A good quality in many respects, but doesn't help mom much when she sees everyone's kids ditching the diapers in favor of panties; except for her sweet, strong-willed angel. But keep at it. She WILL get potty trained, I promise. I may not be until it becomes important to HER, but it WILL happen. You won't have to send her off to college in depends. And as long as she doesn't have any medical reasons for delay (it sounds like she doesn't), you can be reasonably sure that even kindergarden will be pull-up free.
That doesn't SOUND very encouraging, I know. But the point is, you're doing everything you can as a mom. Don't get discouraged, just keep doing everything you can to encourage her. Sooner or later she (and you) will be successful.
Something that worked for us: let her be responsible for her bathroom needs. Like Anna said, keep the pull ups for night time IF she still needs them. If she's waking up dry most of the time, consider going cold turkey. For day time, put her in panties and when she has an accident, SHE must clean up the mess (with supervision, of course), SHE must put her dirty clothes in the laundry room, SHE must get herself dressed in clean clothes. It'll mean you teaching her how to do these things at first and it'll mean several frustrating days for you. But if you can keep your cool, soon SHE'LL be the frustrated one and she'll choose the potty over the yucky clean up routine.
Post a Comment