Monday, July 6, 2009

A good old fashioned Holiday.

I have decided that in order to form a more perfect holiday...the 4th of July should 1. Be spent in a small town. And 2. The small town should not be ridiculously hot. The 4th of July has never been my favorite holiday because most of my memories of the 4th of July involve too many people crammed into a very hot place. Phoenix in July never, NEVER cools off. It is still above 90 degrees at 9 PM. That kind of atmosphere does not make me want to eat a flaming hot hamburger or corn on the cob. And I barely have the energy to sing the Star Spangled Banner.
(Chloe playing King of the Hill with the plastic playhouse. I think most of the morning I heard her standing inside, telling the other kids to "Go...Go" As in "Go away")
Luckily, we know some people who live in a small town, and one that is not ridiculously hot. We have spent the last two 4th of Julys in ST. David, AZ and I hope this continues to be our tradition because I have to tell you...I love the 4th of July now. We spent the morning in Mesa, we went to the annual church pancake breakfast. Then in the afternoon we took off to Don's parent's house. We arrvied just in time for a steak dinner with all the fixings. AND we ate outside. And I said to myself, now this is what the founding father's had in mind when they said we should celebrate the 4th of July as our day of independence.

After dinner we drove to the neighboring small town for a fireworks show. Amazingly we arrived 15 minutes before it started and by golly, we
1.Found a close parking place
2. Got front row seats.
3. Actually heard the music that coordinated with the fireworks.
4. We didn't sweat at all.
And I said to myself, this is how the 4th of July was intended to be celebrated.

Have I mentioned I scored with the in-laws? They are pretty much the best in-laws to have. I married into a huge, happy family. They are extremely helpful and kind.
Chloe liked the show, although she got a little restless halfway through and started climbing all over me. She did much better than my first fireworks experience. My parent's told me they took me to a show in a stadium when I was really little and I hid underneath the bleachers. I am relieved to see Chloe is much braver than me.
And as any good 4th of July inspires...I reflected on the sacrifices made for the freedoms I get to live. Our freedom was not free.
After the show they turned on some dance music and Miss Chloe caught the dance fever. So did I. Unfortunately none of the rest of the family did so I couldn't properly showcase my moves. As you can see, I have some good ones.

We spent Sunday there too. We sat outside on a swing and talked for 2 hours and ate root beer floats.

And I said to myself...I should live in a small town.

But only if they have a Target.

3 comments:

ottspot said...

agreed. Provo is not a small town. People here will kill you in order to get a spot in front of you for the parade. This is not how I like to celebrate the 4th of July!

Jaymie and Donna Jones said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I was silly enough to put together a nieghbor BBQ party and it was so dang hot I just about shot myself. Then we cleaned that up and went to ANOTHER outside BBQ at Jaymie's familys house. WHAT WERE WE THINKING!!!!!!!! I am glad you guys stayed cool!

Molly and Patrick Devinger said...

You make me smile! I'm glad you had a good 4th!