Monday, July 27, 2015

And just like that...it was over.

 Swim team is already done for the summer. I cannot believe how fast it went.  We thoroughly enjoyed watching our girls compete in their weekly swim meets.  They both made huge improvements.  Don could tell you exactly how many seconds they shaved off, and I know he has told me, but I can't remember what I was doing 5 minutes ago, so.... Macie's very first race we had to coax/beg/coerce her into the pool.  And that backstroke will long live in my memory as one of the coolest things I have ever seen her do.  To see your kids do something that you know they are scared of, and to do it with grace and style...best thing ever.  We could only convince her to do one race the very first swim meat, but by the next swim meet she was willing to try 2...then the next meet 3,,,and for the last few, she did all 4 strokes.  And she had the time of her life.  As she swam, we were able to get close enough to cheer so she could really hear us, and her smile was priceless.  Her backstroke, she had a permanent smile. And the breast stroke, every time she would come up for air, her face was beaming.  She loved hearing us cheer her on.  And she loved being a part of the team and playing with all the other kids.  Chloe is so good to her and makes sure she is always included.  Macie was the youngest swimmer on her team.  We were also so proud of Chloe.  She made huge improvements also.  At her last swim meat, she placed 4th on the IM and in backstroke, and she won her very first medals. She has a lot of ribbons, but these were her fist medals.  She was really excited.  At one of the city meets, she was disqualified from the IM for swimming the wrong stroke, and she barely missed qualifying with her backstroke.  This was the city meet that would produce the kids who would get to compete at I don't know, the multi city meet?? (I know basically nothing).  Anyway, Chloe was so bummed that she failed to qualify because it would be her first chance to win a medal, and Don told me during the drive home, Macie tried to comfort her by telling Chloe, "Chloe, you can have my medal...."  Don and I are so proud of the girls. They are good girls.  The highlight of our summer has spending time together as a family at their swim meets.
 And this is little Oscar looking longingly into the pool.  He loves the water too, I am hoping that means his swim lessons go a little better his year as we took him out at the beginning of the summer because he hated them,
 Last week Oscar really improved on his basketball skills. He can now put the ball in the basket.  He would make a basket, we would all cheer, and then he would walk over and give me a big hug.  He did this over, and over, and over again.  Did it fill me joy that he picked me to hug after every basket? Um, yes of course it did.  I like being the favorite around here.  Dad will probably trump me eventually when Oscar figures out I am terrible at all sports, but until then, I will enjoy the perks of being the number one woman in his life.
 Here are some pictures at the end of the season award ceremony for the Dobson Dolphins.  The girls had a great time.  They had a slide show at the end, and Chloe told me she was laughing so hard at the pictures that she peed her pants.


 They have been looking forward to getting their trophies for a long time. I asked Macie what she was going to do with the trophy and she told me, "Play with it."







 Chloe got a pin for swimming 1/2 mile during the stroke-a-thon.




Macie also received the "Delightful Dobson Dolphin" award for her age group.  Basically it was the good sportsmanship award.  She was so excited to hear her name called and so cute walking up to the front to get her certificate.  She loved, loved, loved her coaches and always wanted to say goodbye to them after every swim meet.  And I love the way she says "coaches." Her voice is just the best.

A couple other Macie moments.  I was desperate for her to go to sleep one night, so I gave her my phone and put it on the lullaby radio station.  She ended up in my room halfway through the night.  And in the morning she told me that "lullabies don't help me go to sleep."  I guess they had woken her up.  It is not that funny when I write it down, but the way she said it was really funny to me. It was like ...Mom that was a dumb idea...why would you think lullabies would help me sleep?  

At one of the swim meets, Macie said to me, "Mom-why do they keep saying....Boogeeeeeeers..." It took me a minute to figure out what she was talking about. But then I realized she was talking about how they say at the beginning of the race, "Swimmeeeeeeers, take your mark." She thought they were saying boogers.

No comments: