Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Chloe's poem, V-Day and Presidents Day

 Valentines Day was on Saturday this year, but It seems we had a  whole Valentine's Day weekend. Chloe of course wanted a valentine's day outfit to wear to her school party on Friday.  Macie didn't have any particular wishes, well except for candy, but that is every day.
(by the way, I was given chocolate truffles and today Macie told me that she would put them under her bed so that they wouldn't melt. She is always looking out for me.  I am confident I will never see those truffles again.  also, another funny Macie story...she was complaining of her ear hurting, we figured it was water in her ear so we told her to go lay down in her bed so it could come out.  she said, "But I don't want to get my bed all wet.")
Anyway.  After school and after Macie had her Valentine's party at Music Makers, I took them to the Mesa Childrens Museum with some of their friends.  And we also got lucky and ran into Danny and Mo.  Later that evening, Liz took Chloe to a ballet.  When Liz showed up to pick up Chloe, Macie answered the door, saw Liz's sparkly dress and said, "Your dress is bootiful."  Chloe had a fun time at the ballet and apparently asked Liz a lot of questions about what was going on.
Saturday was a busy day, nothing to do with Valentine's Day.  Went to the gym, Soccer games, breakfast with Heather for her birthday, played piano for a funeral, all before 2 PM.  Chloe really wanted to have a party so we played heads up 7 up as a family and the girls gave me a mammoth size valentine as well as handmade cards throughout the day.  They were so sweet. Then that evening we had Stake Conference. So for Valentine's Day we went to church.  I have to hand it to Don though.  He actually thought ahead and made a really nice dinner for us all on Sunday.  I did nothing. I took a nap while he cleaned and cooked and then cleaned again.  It was very domestic of him.  He was a way better valentine than I was.  Sunday evening we went to the Paun's house for dessert night.  So the weekend was jam packed and then I got a cold, which is what usually happens after a busy weekend.
 I took these pictures of Oscar at Macie's swim lesson.  He was very interested watching the kids swim. Also, I love this thing he does with his mouth,
 Yesterday was President's Day and I was so happy Chloe didn't have school.  We met up with Rachelle and her kids in Anthem.  We found a really fun park. We had a picnic, rode a train, and let the kids soak up the sun and beautiful weather.  Although I think I might have ruined Chloe.  She was complaining that it was too hot.  I might have a tendency of complaining about the weather being hot. Don told me that he would give me $10,000 if I didn't complain about the weather for a whole year. He was completely serious.  I already failed. But it has been in the 80's in February. Come on!!
Last week Chloe came home from school with this poem. She said she wrote it during her free time she earned in school for being "on pink."  It is part of her classroom reward system for good behavior.  She told me she was allowed to pick one friend to participate in her free time activity. She picked a girl with some diagnosed social difficulties, but her teacher said she needed to pick someone else because she was not making good choices that day.  I asked chloe why she picked her, and Chloe said, "Well she is new in class, and I didn't think anyone else was ever going to pick her."  Hearing that filled me with happiness.  Chloe is an amazingly sensitive and conscientious child.  I look up to her, she is genuinely kind.  I was so impressed with this poem she wrote:
"When things get hard just start.  You might get it right.  Don't be sad be glad for all your blessings."

I wish I could take credit for her wisdom, but I certainly cannot!  In fact, I have decided to take Chloe's advice from now on.  When things get hard...just start.  Isn't that the truth-the hardest part is always the starting.  I asked her if her teacher tells her this ("no!") or perhaps Dad? ("no!")  "I just came up with it in my own mind!"
Like I said, she's pretty amazing.  (and so are Oscar and Macie. I am a middle child.  I get it.)

No comments: