I also remember how sweet he was after my mom died. I think he took us to a baseball game. He was good at being fun and making things seem normal, while also being sympathetic and comfortable talking about an awkward subject.
My favorite story about Danny happened while I was at BYU. He came out for a football game and invited me to go. So we went and then he took me to TGI Fridays afterwards. This is when I really got to know Danny. He showed me the ring he just bought to propose to his girlfriend. At 40 or so he said he was finally ready to settle down. I showed him around Glenwood, his old stomping grounds. I think he relived some good memories.
Another football game he was nice enough to give me an extra ticket. The game was the biggest game of the year. Between BYU and UofU. All the tickets were sold out and I didn't have one. Danny came to the rescue. We were supposed to meet up at the big Cougar by the stadium. Although the Melissa factor came into play, and I thought he meant the big inflatable cougar that was put up for the games in the parking lot across the street from the stadium. Although at this game the inflatable cougar was not put up for some reason. So I went and stood by the non existent inflatable cougar for 15 minutes or so. He never showed up, I wonder why! So I ran back to my apartment thinking maybe he dropped the ticket off there. I found what I thought was my ticket in my make up box and I triumphantly waved it around! And then my cousin/roommate laughed hysterically because I was waving around just a ticket stub.
Eventually I made my way to the stadium and there Danny was, standing by the cougar statue.
Back then cell phones weren't everywhere so now a day this story would never happen.
But I am glad it did, because it still makes me laugh.








Danny handled his illness with class and optimism. He made others feel comfortable even though he must have been very uncomfortable himself. His funeral did him justice and he was remembered for these qualities, and I know this is the same Danny that exists on the other side. I just hope for his sake that there is football there.
2 comments:
Melissa,
That was a beautiful entry! I think taking time to write fond memories when we lose someone is so healing and uplifting. I'm glad you were able to be with family for the funeral, and you and your family are all in our prayers!
That one ticket episode still makes me laugh too!
Post a Comment