Sunday, November 1, 2009

Carpet

** So I posted this last night, then slept on it, and took it off in the morning. And then thought about it some more, and put it back on. It is a little personal, but I want to share anyway.


I think I found my calling in life.

I mean, I think we all have many, but I have to tell you. I love to redecorate people's houses. And I love to get rid of junk. I hate junk. I hate ugly things. I hate almost anything from the 1980's. (Except myself, friends and family born during that wretched decade). I challenge you to come up with one thing from the 80's that was not hideous (except myself, friends, and family born during that wretched decade.)

Well what is my point...oh ya.

So I have been working like I dog over at my dad's house.

Let me tell you something.
There was this nice elderly couple I knew a while back, and walking into their house was like walking into this strange eerie time warp. Whenever I went in their house, I thought, "So...this is what it would have been like to live in the 70's." I mean really. They could have rented their house out to the production company of the Brady Bunch Movies and not had to change a thing.

Well. The house I grew up in? The same thing applies. They could do a remake of "Growing Pains" there.

Forest Green carpet. Small white tile.
And worst of all. 30 years of accumulated stuff.

A miracle happened this weekend.
New carpet.
And major dejunking.
I literally cried.

Because it is not just about making things pretty.
My mom died just shy of 10 years ago.
And my house hasn't felt like the house I grew up in for almost 10 years.
But today? Today my old house came out of mourning.
And for the first time in almost 10 years, I felt like I was back home.
And I could almost hear my mom's voice and envision her walking through the kitchen and into the dining room.
And it felt really, really good.

Here's to moving forward.
And you know what, it doesn't need to take 10 years.

2 comments:

ottspot said...

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Like a chanting picket line.

Don said...

I will take some and post soon!